Before kids I used to love doing surprises for my husband. It was a great way to grow our relationship and have fun at the same time. Sometimes I even thought I liked these surprises (that I prepared) more than he did. Typical.
However, when the kids came to our lives the amount of husband surprises has drastically dropped. I got two miracles out of my body. Who needs surprises anymore? The kids are little bigger now and I feel like we need more spike in our relationship again.
As you know, we are very resourceful family and we do our best to live as simple life as we can, meaning we don’t buy things we don’t really need and use every single day. (Check out how we surprise our kids without spending a dime.)
I am a big fan of simplicity. I believe true and pure things happen when we use our heart and our own hands. It doesn’t have to come from your bank account or all the way from China.
So here are my top 15 surprises for husband or partner that not only won’t cost you a dime, but also will make your man feel like a million dollars. At least mine does.
Warning! There may or may not be some “cheesy” tips given in this article. If you or your partner are sensitive to “dairy”, use it with caution. 🙂
1. Send him a letter in the mail. List 9 reasons why you love him. The more detailed and personal you get the better it will be. Can you imagine his surprised face when he flips through countless bills and sees YOUR HANDWRITTEN ENVELOPE?
When I slipped one of my letter to our pile of bills and my husband found it, he said opening mail will never be the same.
2. Wear his favorite team’s jersey to work on a game day or even on a regular day.
This threw off my husband completely. Even I was surprised at how important this was to him. It was a proud day at work for him because we worked at the same job back then.
3. Make short video (containing 1 sec episodes) for your husband. Secretly record little cute things your husband does on a daily basis. Use 1 Second Everyday app for simplicity.
Pssst… I am still yet to do this as I always end up taking videos of my kids.
4. Take interest in his hobby.
Few years ago I wanted to surprise my husband by learning how to edit on one of the professional video editing programs, because his lifetime hobby and passion was film-making. So I learned how to edit. And you know what, now it became a bigger hobby of mine than his.
5. Pack lunch with his favorite homemade meal. I know it’s cliche and cheesy, but truth it truth – men like food. Good food. It will always please their heart (and tummy).
Whenever I had something special to pack in his lunch I made sure to make a disappointing face and let him know that it’s “the regular”. That way surprise was bigger when he opened the lunch box during his lunch.
6. Do little things. They still count as surprises.
Leave cute notes in his pockets. Bring him his favorite evening beverage without him even asking. Call his mom for a friendly chat and let him found out about that from his mom. Take a picture of you with his phone and save it as his screen saver.
7. Propose to him. Shocker!?
Long story short – years ago my husband proposed to me and I didn’t really give him any answer for 2 years. But then when I made my mind up all was left to do – ask him if he still wants to marry me. I assumed he did (brave me) and had some arrangements for a symbolic marriage ceremony all set up already. It’s one of his proudest stories to tell.
8. Announce YES day to your husband. It’s one of the best days for our kids, so I am sure husband will enjoy it too. You will have to say YES to any reasonable requests. Food in bed? YES. Go to game? YES Play cards? YES! Mow the lawn? YES! (maybe…)
The good thing about it is that it’s usually followed by Wife/Mommy YES day. And we don’t lack on creativity for reasonable requests.
9. Be kids again. Meet your husband at the door with the game planned already. Water balloon fight? Pillow fight? Or maybe hide and seek?
I have never done this before, but I could see it happening and making a great night. The good thing is that it’s totally doable with kids. No need for date night.
10. Arrange a guy night out for him with his friends. You would be surprised at how busy family lives change even for a very fun loving guys. So call up some of his buddies and ask if they are up for a night out. Even a movie with his buddy and some drinks afterwards can make a huge difference.
I am yet to plan this, but I know this one my husband needs the most. He rarely gets out of the house without me or the kids.
11. Throw a surprise dinner with his favorite people. It doesn’t have to be a fancy dinner. In fact food isn’t that important when you have a good company.
Once I got lucky to throw this together literally last minute. I made a big slow cooker meal in the morning and invited his brother (who happened to be in town), his favorite co-worker and couple of his best friends with their spouses. Some brought extra food and we all had such a great time.
12. Do his least favorite chore for him, but be realistic.
For my husband it’s washing dishes. Since I don’t have to do it often, I don’t mind occasionally doing it.
13. Enter both of you for a contest or a race. Working on a challenge like that together will create great memories and will make your relationship stronger.
This is on my to do list too.
14. Change his alarm with your recorded voice.
Few years ago when my husband was on the trip I secretly recorded my voice and set it as an alarm. So when the alarm “rang” it was my voice telling him good morning. He said it sounded so realistic as if I was in the room.
15. Shave him. Get ready the shaving tools he uses and open up barber shop right in your bathroom. Put an apron on just like a real barber. Be professional. 🙂
My good friend surprised her husband once like this and she said he was very pleased to be pampered this way even though he was worried a bit at the beginning.
One thing I like about surprising my husband is that I know he will have to surprise me back too. I know, this is totally selfish. But it is what it is and it makes us both pretty happy.
How about surprises for wife?
Since I can’t speak for him, I am asking my husband to guest post and write his ideas and how he has surprised me in the past and maybe he will reveal (fingers crossed) some of his future plans. So make sure to follow up and read his surprises for wife (that from what I can tell will be quite frugal too).
I hope you got inspired a bit with these surprises for husband and will plan some in the future. Also I would LOVE to hear your surprises for husband. How do you surprise your other half? Please leave comments below.
Invite your husband for a date!
P.S. If you struggle coming up with ideas for a date or you end up talking about the kids all night again, then you MUST have this date book!