I guess like you, as you are reading this post, at every seasonal change my kids seem to always be bothered with their ears. Some time ago I’ve written a full list of 10 activities for sick toddler, but this time I wanted to share with you some home remedies I’m using to fight with upset ears. I promise, this lovely home remedy for upset ears will quickly help to ease any discomfort, especially in the middle of the night.
UPSET EARS PROBLEM
I’ve had many a day or night with my son who gets really affected by his ears whenever he is coming down with something and a friend told me about a home remedy she does that just helps to ease the discomfort.
The first time I tried it I was amazed at how receptive my son was and what comfort it gave him. So much so that if he ever has any ear discomfort during the night he asks me to make his ‘magic sock’.
As an aromatherapist myself I am always sending my friends and family this wonderful remedy. I have lost count of the number of times that I have written it out for people. So having somewhere here on the Playtivities website with all the information needed will definitely make it easier for me to give it to people when it’s quickly needed.
I use this remedy anytime he complains about his ears, even after flying. So I always pack the essentials I need for this when we travel.
The real key items you will need for this are the essential oils. Everything else you will likely find you already have in your home.
HOME REMEDY INGREDIENTS
- A sock / flannel / small muslin cloth / anything that can be tied up (picture)
- Half a cup of rock salt/pink Himalayan salt
- Lavender Essential Oil – Tea Tree Essential Oil
Lavender oil is recommended for use due to its healing, calming and anti-septic properties. Tea Tree oil is recommended for its anti-bacterial properties.
For more advice and information on using essential oils safely for you and your family we find the Tisserand Institute an excellent resource REMEDY METHOD!
HOME REMEDY RECIPE
- Take the sock (or other material) and fill with the salt and tie up, like a poultice
- Place in the oven on a low heat for around 10 minutes.
- Check the temperature is touch warm but not too hot to touch the skin.
- Add 2 drops of lavender essential oil and 2 drops of tea tree oil to the sock.
- Hold the sock over the ear for a good 5 minutes to let the heat penetrate and start to ease the discomfort. – Then slowly press the sock in a gentle massage motion all around the ear and neck area until the heat is dispersed – If both ears are sore you will ideally need to prepare to 2
You will find that after using this little remedy and lots of cuddles the use of the essential oils and the heat will certainly make the discomfort easier to allow you child to go back to sleep or calmly rest.A Super Quick Home Remedy for Upset Ears! Home remedy for kids will quickly help to ease any discomfort, especially in the middle of the night or even after flying! Click To Tweet
EXTRA TIPS FOR UPSET EARS
Another great alternative for this is to have a small heat pack/wheat pack that is microwaveable heat that up and put the two drops of oil onto it. This is still effective but the salt inside the sock will help the heat to penetrate easier and therefore allow the oils to do their job quickly and effectively.
It is important to note that I would not use this remedy with the essential oils for any children under three years old. For babies I would use only the heat with the salt and avoid the essential oil usage altogether. Similarly, if you know of any allergies your children may have please be extremely cautious with essential oil usage.
I hope this little magic sock trick saves you in times of need, save this link on your phone so that you can always find it!
I would love to hear how you get on! Please let us know in the comments!
- 10 simple sick day activities for toddler
- The secret to raising a grateful child
- My before bed routine
- Baby items you need the very first month