It was a lifetime discovery for me and my husband the other day. And no, I am not talking about a new book or brilliantly engineered new sun-powered car. It was Homemade Mayo.
For years we have been making our own homemade mayonnaise, but every time we dreaded it, because it would simply take too long and would be 50% chance that it would become mayo soup. And who wants that?!
* This post contains affiliate/consultant links
The way we used to make homemade mayo was by simply beating an egg with a hand whisk and gradually (very gradually) dripping olive oil. It took 20 minutes and a lot of sweat to make 1 cup of mayonnaise. For that reason we didn’t make it often. Until we discovered this new (to us) way of making homemade mayo.
I couldn’t resist sharing with you guys, because I know you will love to make your own mayonnaise with healthy ingredients in only 10 seconds. Seriously, it would take longer to pick mayonnaise bottle from the shelf at the supermarket.
Ingredients for Homemade Mayo
- 1 egg (room temperature – very important)
- 2 cups of olive oil
- salt to taste
- essential oils (I used basil, oregano and lemon for separate batches). I buy them at wholesale price. (affiliate/consultant link)
You will also need Immersion Hand Blender. (affiliate link)
How to make your own mayonnaise
1. Break egg into the glass jar (wide enough to fit your hand stick blender in). Make sure your egg has been out of the fridge for at least 1 hour. It’s very important.
2. Add oil and salt.
3. Place the blender at the bottom of the jar (covering the egg yolk with the blades). Turn the blender on and pulse it for few seconds. Do not just keep blending as if you are making pancake batter.
After you see some white stuff forming at the bottom, start lifting your blender and pulsing again. Do the same until you get a preferred mayonnaise consistency. It should take you anywhere from 8-15 seconds.
4. Add essential oils and gently mix it with a spoon. I only use 1-2 drops of essential oil in each batch since they are pretty strong.
Here is a short video if you need to visualize the process.
Your homemade mayonnaise is done and is ready to be added to your delicious pasta salads, potato salads, eggs and what not .
So we decided to experiment and try to flavor our homemade mayonnaise with essential oils. We did quite a few variations and testings and came up with our top 3 favorite ones: lemon, rosemary and basil. (I really wanted to try avocado oil, but didn’t have any on hand).
Adding essential oils to the mayo really helped enhance the flavor.
Have you ever made mayonnaise? Did you do my old long way or did you try the 10 second recipe? Please share your comments and suggestions of different flavors we can add.